Many of us need MongoDB Enteprise Edition, but might be short of resources, or would like to compare the value.
I have summarized several key features of MongoDB Enteprise Edition and their alternatives
- MongoDB Cloud Manager: Performance monitoring ($500/yr/machine) => $1000-1500
- Datadog/NewRelic => $120-$180/yr per machine, Datadog is better for this case
- DYI using tools such mongotop, mongostat, mtools and integrate w/ grapha and other
Replication is super recommended and is part of the community edition:
Replica set => min 3 nodes, at least 2 data nodes in 3 data centers (2 major DC and one small).
Backup and Restore:
There are 3 major options (that can be combined of course):
- fsync to mongodb and physical backup:
- fast backup/restore
- Might be inconsistent/unreliable
- Logical backup: based on mongodump
- Can be done w/ $2.5/GB using the cloud manager w/ Point in time recovery
- Can be done w/ Percona hot backup
- Incremental is supported
- Have a delayed node
The first two may be done using a 3rd data node in hidden for backup (high frequency backup) that enable
- Disk based encryption => data at rest (can be done in AWS and several storage providers)
- eCryptFS => Percona => data at Rest
- Encryption based application by the programmers in the class level before saving to disk.
Use Percona edition is a good alternative that may close many of your enterprise needs
Well supported with MongoDB BI Connector in the enterprise edition, but can be done also w/
- Some BI tool supports MongoDB natively
- 3rd party provider for JDBC connector: such as simba and https://www.progress.com/jdbc/mongodb
Getting your MongoDB Community Edition to meet Enterprise Requirements is not simple but with the right effort it can be done.